Dr Nham: As a part of our local community, we absolutely feel that we have a certain level of responsibility to make efforts to protect our environment. As a small business, we may not be able to make a huge impact, but we hope we can set an example that will encourage others to make small steps towards becoming more eco-friendly. Some of the steps we've taken in our office are:
- We collect old glasses/reading glasses/sunglasses that are then sent to organizations in need (i.e. SVOSH - Student Volunteers in Optometric Service to Humanity)
- The ECO frame line that we carry is made from 95% recycled materials. Also, ECO plants a tree for each frame purchased!
- We provide bottles of glasses cleaner with all eyewear purchases. Rather than throwing away empty bottles, we encourage our patrons to bring their bottles back to us empty, and we will refill for free!
- We utilize electronic medical records to reduce our paper consumption.
- We utilize a patient portal and encourage our patients to access their prescriptions and invoices/receipts electronically (can print on paper at patient's request).
- We use a point-of-sale system that allows patrons to sign on the device and avoid using CC paper. Receipts can then be emailed or texted (or printed at patron's request).